Montrose 2 Forfar Athletic 0

Montrose Win Battle Against The Loons




Next Match

Raith Rovers v Montrose

Match Details


Annan Athletic 2 Montrose 2

Scottish Professional Football League
League 2
Saturday 15th November 2014

A hotly disputed last minute penalty kick from Annan Athletic stopped Montrose from grabbing three valiuable points at Annan on Saturday. The three points which would have moved back into a play off spot a week after their poor home display against Clyde.
Two great goals from Stephen Day and Leighton McIntosh had Montrose in a winning position until referee Don Robertson intervened to spoil their afternoon’s display.
After the home defeat from Clyde the Montrose line up showed three changes in came Craig Bell, Paul Watson and Danny Cavanagh for his full debut and out of the side went Steven Robb, Bryan Deasley and the injured Scott Johnston.
Goalkeeper Stuart McKenzie was back from suspension and got a place on the bench along side Deasley, McCord, Harkins, Robb, Graham and Johnston.
Montrose lined up with Joe McGovern in goal, Crawford and Bell at full back with Wood and Harwood in central defence. Masson was wide right in a midfield four with Day on the left with Watson and O’Neil in the middle of the park.
McIntosh and Cavanagh were upfront for the first time.
It was a perfect day for football as Montrose got their longest away trip of the season underway at Galabank on the all weather surface.
In the fifth minute Masson was fouled giving Montrose a free kick which Crawford sent into the area. The ball was cleared and quickly set up an Annan Athletic attack but Joe McGovern did well to save at the feet of McColm.
Three minutes later a goal kick from McGovern was headed on by McIntosh and it nearly put Cavanagh through on goal but an Annan Athletic defender got back to clear.
It was Montrose who opened the scoring in the 11th minute a Bell throw in was headed down in the box by McIntosh and STEPHEN DAY raced onto the knock down to blast a left footed effort into the corner of the net for his first goal for the club.
Montrose kept up the pressure and in the 21st minute Leighton McIntosh fought for the ball before wriggling clear only to see his shot blocked well by the home defence.
cGovern again pulled off a great save for Montrose when McColm raced down the left and cut inside at the edge of the box only for the number keeper to be equal to the task.
Danny Cavanagh was having a fine match up front and he turned smartly inside the box but he just couldn’t connect with the ball at the vital moment and the chance was gone.
Despite having the better of the early exchanges Annan Athletic equalised in the 28th minute. Twice Craig Bell blocked crosses from Logan but at the third attempt the midfielder was able to flight over a cross which PETER WEATHERSTON headed back into the opposite of the goal for the equaliser.Weatherston looked to add to his tally and five minutes later Harwood and Bell got up to foul the veteran giving the home side a free kick in a good position.
Weatherston took the free kick but McGovern got down well to save.
Three minutes later Montrose gave away another free kick in a dangerous position on the edge of the box when Weatherson was again fouled by Harwood. This time Weatherson went for the opposite of goal but curled the ball just over the crossbar.
With five minutes of the half remaining Annan Athletic forced a corner kick. From Logan’s first effort Weatherston’s near post shot was blocked and from the second again taken by Logan the ever dangerous Weatherston headed wide of goal.
Montrose tired to hit back and Paul Watson went close from the edge of the area just before the end of the first half.
Two minutes into the second half Stuart McColm went close with an acrobatic effort but his effort was well saved by Joe McGovern in the Montrose goal.
Garry Wood then gave away a corner kick to Annan Athletic which Hopkirk took only for McIntosh to clear the danger.
Hopkirk then won another Annan Athletic corner of Day but went the in swinger came in the Montrose midfielder was on hand to clear the danger.
In the 51st minute a strong run from Leighton McIntosh saw him win Montrose a corner kick. O’Neil played the corner short to Garry Wood who flicked the ball into the path of his defensive partner Adam Harwood but he just couldn’t connect with the ball at the far post.
The Gable Endies were looking for a second goal and a McIntosh pass set up Stephen O’Neil but his shot from the area was deflected up into the arms of keeper Alex Mitchell in the 55th minute.
Two minutes later Montrose should have had a second goal. Terry Masson teased with his marker inside the box and sent over a delightful cross for Stephen Day who looked set to score but somehow he managed to head wide of the far post from ten yards out.
The match was going from end to end and sixty seconds later Stuart McColm raced cleared of the Montrose defence and raced into the box with only McGovern to beat but the twenty year old did brilliantly to push his effort wide of the far post.
On the hour mark Montrose wasted another opportunity to grab the lead again. Leighton McIntosh won the ball inside the box and played it into the path of Terry Masson who fired over the crossbar from the edge of the box.
Five minutes later a brave bit of goalkeeping saw McGovern grab the ball off the feet of McColm inside the box. The Annan Athletic attacker was injured but was able to continue after treatment.
Montrose had a let off in the 70th minute when David Hopkirk got free on the left but Crawford was able to head to his cross over his own crossbar and out for a corner kick.
Montrose made their first change of the afternoon seconds later taking off Danny Cavanagh and replacing him with Paul Harkins.
Harkins was immediately into the action winning Montrose a free kick which Watson took. The ball rebounded back to the Gable Endies midfielder but he only succeeded in sending his shot over the bar and out of the ground.
In the 74th minute Terry Masson picked up the only booking of the match for a trip on Martin McNiff. Flynn’s free kick was headed straight into the arms of McGovern by McColm.
Two minutes later Montrose regained the lead in bizarre circumstances. Harkins headed the ball towards the corner flag where it looked as though keeper Mitchell would get there first he did but promptly kicked the ball off LEIGHTON McINTOSH who managed to keep his composure and gather the ball before racing into the area before blasting the ball into the bottom corner of the unguarded net. He ran off to celebrate with his team-mates before requiring treatment for a head knock he had received from the goalkeeper’s vain attempts to get the ball back.
nnan then made their first change with Josh Todd replacing Logan.
With ten minutes remaining Montrose brought on Bryan Deasley for Stephen Day.
In the 86th minute Annan made another change with Ryan McStay replacing Steven Sloan. He was immediately into action sending in a dangerous free kick which Paul Watson somehow managed to hook over the crossbar from practically on the goal-line.
Montrose should have made it three with two minutes left. Terry Masson got free down the left wing and sent over a perfect cross from Paul Harkins but he somehow managed to head past when it seemed easier to score.
Montrose were made to pay for that miss when Annan Athletic equalised in the 90th minute with a hotly disputed penalty kick. Masson fouled Flynn giving Annan Athletic a free kick on the edge of the area. Flynn took the free kick which he blasted into the area and it was deflected away from goal, referee Don Robertson, decided it had deflected off Garry Wood’s hands and it was to be a penalty. Not one Annan player claimed for a foul and another was away to take the corner kick.
But penalty it was and PETER WEATHERSTON fired low into the bottom corner despite the valiant efforts of McGovern to keep the ball out and make the most of the gift.
Despite five minutes of stoppage time no team could force a winner and the points were shared.




Contact Us

Links Park Stadium

Wellington Street
Angus DD10 8QD

Tel: 01674 673200

Fax: 01674 677311
Commercial Agent: 01674 673200