Montrose 1 Dumbarton 3

Montrose Hold on to 5th Despite Home Defeat




Next Match

Montrose v Stenhousemuir

Match Details

Team Group Photo 2018/19

Montrose FC Team Group Photo

Team Photo

Phoenix Photoshop

Season 2017/18 In Pictures

Look Back Over Our Historic Championship Season

Season 17/18 Photos

Season 17/18 Video


  REARRANGED FIXTURE The Angus derby against Brechin City which was postponed due to snow at the weekend will now be played on Tuesday 2nd April at Glebe Park with…

Youth Fixtures

  YOUTH FIXTURES Montrose U16s v Stirling Albion U16sClub Academy ScotlandSunday 17th March 2019Links Park Stadium, MontroseKick Off - 1.00pm


  MONTROSE FC GOLF CEL-AM Join us for the annual Montrose FC Celeb-Am Golf Tournament on Sunday 21st April at the 1562 Medal Course at Montrose Golf Links Entry for…


  STAT UPDATE Ahead of our last trip to Brechin this season here is a quick look back at our disappointing performance last week.


  RAFFLE WINNERS Tori Clark was the lucky raffle winner on Saturday, receiving a signed shirt, during a special thank you Hospitality organised by Montrose Community Trust for all their…


  BODY SHOP AT LP THIS FRIDAY As a first, we are holding a Body Shop party at Links Park on Friday 15th March at 7:30pm, so come along for…


  MAN OF THE MATCH Paul Watson was awarded Man of the Match on Sat for a Captains performance, despite the team overall coming up short against Dumbarton. Paul received…


  JOYCE BAGS RECORD PAYOUT AT BINGO Another busy Bingo night last Friday ended with Joyce Aitken scooping a record Flyer prize of £150, part of a total cash payout…


  MORE THAN FOOTBALL CELEBRATION!2 The #MoreThanFootball Action Weeks are a global campaign for the European football community to showcase the impact of their community and social responsibility programmes. To…


  END OF SEASON ‘BASH’ Due to increased demand, this year’s event has been moved to Montrose Town Hall and will also mark the start of our 140th celebrations as…
Next Match

Montrose v Stenhousemuir
Ladbrokes SPFL
League 2
Links Park Stadium, Montrose

Saturday 23rd March 2019
Kick Off: 3.00pm

League 1 Table 2018/19

Team   P 
27 60
Forfar Athletic
27 46
Raith Rovers
27 45
East Fife
25 39
Airdrieonians 27 34
27 31
26 29
Brechin City
25 26
Stenhousemuir 26 24


Ayr United 1 Montrose 1 (aet) - Montrose win 6-5 on Penalties

Well, that turned out to be quite a game! These League Challenge Cup ties often attract low crowds and lots of team changes are usually made but the game started at Somerset Park in front of a decent looking crowd which included a good travelling support from Montrose (and elsewhere). On a sunny, showery night with a light breeze Ayr United chose to start the game by making only one change from the team which started at home to Arbroath a few days earlier. In came David Ferguson in attack in place of Alan Forrest. Montrose on the other hand made five changes – in came Jordan Millar between the sticks and Kerr Hay, Graham Webster, Craig Johnston and Ross Campbell also started the game.

Manager Stewart Petrie was unable to be there but Montrose were organised by Ross Campbell on the pitch and Sean Dillon from the bench. They lined up with a flat back four of Cammy Ballantyne, Matty Allan, Iain Campbell and Andy Steeves. In midfield were the hard working Craig Johnston, Jamie Redman, Graham Webster and Liam Callaghan whilst up front Montrose had the pace of Kerr Hay with Ross Campbell alongside him. Referee for the night was Grant Irvine who you could tell was vastly experienced and had a good game, only stopping the game when necessary.

Both sides probed each other in the opening exchanges but such ‘friendly fire’ was soon to erupt into more frenetic stuff as Montrose won a free kick just outside the penalty area left of centre. Iain Campbell is your man in such circumstances and he rifled an unstoppable shot into the far top corner to put Montrose a goal up in the second minute. Ayr did not like that one bit and came roaring back by spreading the ball around the width of the pitch but the flat back four for Montrose were equal to it and hit back forcing two corners in quick succession, but which came to nothing. Ayr then had to replace their captain Ross Docherty after only 10 minutes when he took a knock and left the field to be replaced by the hard working Craig McGuffie. It took Ayr a while to settle after that and Montrose took the opportunity to forage more into enemy territory. A long ball from Millar put Ross Campbell away down the right, he fed it to Webster who was well tackled on the point of shooting just inside the box. Johnston was next to get on the end of a flowing Montrose move which ended as the shot flew over the top.

Ayr were beginning to assert themselves again however and Millar had to move smartly to save a point blank effort after 25 minutes but collided with the post in the process and had to receive treatment. The resultant corner was scrambled away. Millar was immediately tested again moments later when a 25 yard shot whistled past his right hand post as he watched it disappear into the terracing behind the goalmouth. The Ayr momentum paid off after 30 minutes when Craig Moore got on the end of a great Ayr move and hit a superb rising shot into the net from the centre of the box with Millar well beaten to level the score at 1-1.

Matty Allan then had to leave the field for treatment to a facial knock as he took what looked like an elbow from Moore. Ayr took the game to 10-man Montrose and Millar saved again at point blank range before Allan returned just before half time. The referee called the break with the score at 1-1. Ayr were perhaps in the ascendancy at that point but Montrose were holding tight and still well in the game.

Montrose started the second half with a corner taken by Kerr Hay which was scrambled away at the far post by the home defence as they scampered away down the left and Moore almost finished it but put his header over the top. From a free kick soon after Ayr almost grabbed the lead as Millar failed to hold a cross but the offside flag was up anyway. It was end to end by the 60 minute mark and at that stage you could not tell which was the full time side. A scrappy period of play then ensued as substitutions were made. Hay came off for Montrose and Templeman came on whilst for Ayr McDaid came off with Gilmour coming on. McGuffie had Ayr’s next chance but fired over from a good position as the Montrose back line kept them largely at arm’s length. A second Montrose substitution brought Ross Campbell off to be replaced by the fresh legs of McLaren as the game entered the last quarter of the ninety minutes. Ayr also made a change with Moffat being replaced by Forrest. Ayr then hit the post twice in quick succession as their efforts to close out the game became more frantic. The game was indeed being played at pace but this fit Montrose side were equal to it. Callaghan and Johnston were putting in sterling work midfield whilst the back four were again outstanding. Iain Campbell this season is playing out of his skin and deservedly has won an extension to his contract.

And so we progressed to extra time with the score at 1-1 after the ninety minutes plus five more for stoppage time. The hard working Johnston was replaced by young Kieran Thomson who immediately saw yellow for a mis-timed tackle. The first fifteen minutes of extra time were a bit of a stalemate however as we progressed into the night. Apparently in this competition you can use a fourth substitute in extra time which is just as well as both teams did it when Ayr responded by bringing on McCowan for Ferguson and not to be out done Montrose brought on their own Ferguson as Webster left the field. Eventually two exhausted sides settled for a draw when Millar flopped on to a loose ball in his six yard box and the full time whistle brought us to the dreaded penalty shoot out.

For Montrose the first five penalties were taken by Iain Campbell, Steeves, Callaghan, Allan and Ferguson with only Allan missing the target. For Ayr only Gilmour missed the target so we were into sudden death. Ayr scored first to put pressure on Jordan Millar who took the next and nearly burst the net with it. Ayr’s Higgins then missed to give McLaren the chance to win it for Montrose and he tucked it away nicely to send the Mo contingent home happily into Round 3.

It was a truly terrific display by Montrose who had no passengers on the night – all meriting MOTM status. If they carry on with this form and determination the crowds will return to Links Park and so too will the good times.

Steve Doyle


Team Lineups & Stats

IRN-BRU Challenge Cup
Second Round
Tuesday 29th August 2017


1 Jordan Hart
1 Jordan Millar
2 Chris Higgins
15 Cammy Ballantyne
3 Paddy Boyle
4 Matty Allan
5 Michael Rose
18 Iain Campbell
6 Andy Geggan
3 Andrew Steeves
7 Michael Moffat (s74)
7 Graham Webster (s108)
8 Robbie Crawford
17 Jamie Redman
9 Craig Moore
19 Liam Callaghan
11 Declan McDaid (s70)
16 Craig Johnston (s99)
14 David Ferguson
12 Kerr Hay (s67)
23 Ross Docherty (C) (s11)
20 Ross Campbell (s74)
20 Lyle Avci (GK)
14 Seán Dillon
4 Brian Gilmour (s70)
11 Ryan Ferguson (s108)
10 Alan Forrest (s74)
10 Chris Templeman (s67)
12 Craig McGuffie (s11)
23 Kieran Thomson (s99)
19 Stuart Faulds
22 Connor McLaren (s74)
25 Luke McCowan
21 Allan Fleming (GK)
26 Craig Reid    
Penalty Shootout

  Michael Rose    
      Iain Campbell
  Brian Gilmour    
      Andrew Steeves
  Craig McGuffie
      Liam Callaghan
  Craig Moore    
      Matty Allan
  Alan Forrest    
      Ryan Ferguson
  Andrew Geggan    
      Jordan Millar
  Chris Higgins    
      Connor McLaren
Montrose Win 6-5 on Penalties

Grant Irvine

Assistant Referees:
Stuart Hodge, Ryan Kennedy

Ayr United - Craig Moore (28)
Montrose - Iain Campbell (2)

Yellow Cards:
Ayr United - David Ferguson (115)
Montrose - Chris Templeman (103)

Red Cards: None

Attendance: 906

MFC Busines Club


Contact Us

Links Park Stadium

Wellington Street
Angus DD10 8QD

Tel: 01674 673200

Fax: 01674 677311
Commercial Agent: 01674 673200