Montrose FC Online

Official Club Website

Montrose 3 Peterhead 2

Mo Back on Top After Links Park Thriller




Next Match

Clyde v Montrose

Match Details

Team Group Photo 2017/18

Montrose FC Team Group Photo Published

Team Photo

Phoenix Photoshop


  MAN OF THE MATCH Chris Templeman was voted Man of the Match on Saturday, following another outstanding performance, leading the line brilliantly and getting on the score sheet once…


  BALLANTYNE RETURNS TO GABLE ENDIES ON LOAN Dundee United defender Cammy Ballantyne has returned to Montrose FC on loan until the end of the season. The 20 year right…


  BINGO WINNER Dod Strachan won the top prize at last Friday’s Bingo, landing him £70. Another enjoyable evening thanks to all who made it along, with almost £250 paid…


  BARMY ARMY ENCOURAGED TO CELEBRATE RECORD CROWD ANNIVERSARY AT LP This Saturday sees the 45th Anniversary of the largest crowd ever recorded at Links Park, when 8,983 fans crammed…

Sunday Youth Fixtures

  Sunday Youth Fixtures Montrose U 16s v Airdrieonians U16sSunday 18th March 2018Links Park Stadium, Montrose, DD10 8QDKick Off - 12.15pmMontrose U17s v Stirling Albion U17sSunday 18th March 2018Links Park…


  ROSS SCOOPS A COULL £3K ON LUCKY NUMBERS JACKPOT Local man Ross Coull had reason to celebrate last weekend when his numbers came up on the Montrose Football Lucky…


  PITCH INSPECTION NEWS Due to heavy rain this morning, a second pitch inspection was called at noon, and unfortunately the elements have beaten the ground staff.


  RESCHEDULED FIXTURE We’ll now play Annan Athletic following our weekend postponement - on Tuesday 13th March at Links Park Stadium.


  DO YOU WANT TO GET PAID TO WATCH MONTROSE AT EVERY HOME GAME? Perform Group – the official data collector for the SPFL - have a vacancy for a…


  MONTROSE FC GOLF CEL-AM The hotly anticipated Montrose FC Golf Cel-Am takes place on Sunday 22nd April at the Royal Montrose Golf Club and Montrose Golf Links We're delighted…
Next Match

Clyde v Montrose
Ladbrokes SPFL
League 2
Broadwood Stadium, Cumbernauld

Saturday 24th March 2018
Kick Off - 3.00pm

League 2 Table 2017/18

Team   P 
29 61
30 58
Stirling Albion
28 49
27 44
Elgin City
Annan Athletic
30 37
28 36
Edinburgh City
28 27
Berwick Rangers
27 26
27 14


Annan Athletic 0 Montrose 1

Manager Stewart Petrie made changes to his starting line up for this tricky looking game at Galabank against an Annan side who are hard to break down home or away. In came Michael Bolochoweckjy (Bolo) to make a very welcome return to the side after a lengthy injury absence and make his first start for the Mo this season. His height would add strength to the back line as Annan’s usual goal strength is from set pieces by bringing up their two big centre backs to add to the already menacing height of Blair Henderson up front. Also for Montrose back in came Jamie Redman to take back his central midfield role and the other change was the inclusion of Lewis Milne in the midfield attacking role. So it was Fleming in goal, a back line of Allan, Dillon and Bolo with Webster and Steeves in the wing back roles. Midfield was occupied by Watson, Milne and Redman with Templeman and Fraser up front. On the very strong looking bench were Cavanagh, Ross Campbell, Masson, McLaren, Callaghan, Johnston and Millar.  Still out injured were Fotheringham and Iain Campbell.

Annan had lost the attacking player Ross Ferguson who was recalled from his loan spell otherwise it was a typical and predictable looking Annan line up. Referee for the day was Steven Reid who got the game underway on a non windy pleasant afternoon which was to get much colder as the game went on, well for the sparse crowd of 359 anyway which included about 20 Mo fans.

Annan went straight into attack and won a free kick just outside the 18 yard area which is usually ideal for their aerial strength but the kick went high, wide and harmless. Gary Fraser then had a decent chance at the other end as a left wing cross was swept across the face of the Annan goal mouth and just needed a touch in. Fraser had another half chance moments later but his goal bound shot was deflected for a corner from which Paul Watson smacked a header flat against the crossbar. In the ensuing melee Mo had two more corners before a Bolo foul ended the spell of Mo pressure. Annan then had a good deal of possession in an end to end game yet Montrose looked good as well and far more threatening than in their last two home games. Lewis Milne in particular was showing us what class he has on the ball as he came more and more into the game. From another Montrose corner taken by Milne Templeman forced a great save just under the bar by Annan keeper Mitchell.

With around ten minutes to half time Annan had to make the first change as the injured Owen Moxon was replaced by Kevin Rutkiewicz in midfield. Almost immediately Gary Fraser should have bagged the first goal of the game when a good knock down fell into his path not more than 6 yards out but he hastily hooked his shot over the bar. At the other end Annan should also have scored as Brandon Luke went on a long mazy run only to end up weakly prodding the ball into Fleming’s arms from fairly close range. Then came the decisive moment of the game. The ever more impressive LEWIS MILNE gathered the ball wide left but was fouled only to then let fly from 25 yards out with a thunderbolt arrowed into the far top corner of the Annan net with keeper Mitchell rooted to the spot. Surely a contender for goal of the season. In the remaining moments of the first half young Matty Allan made a great block to cut out a dangerous looking Annan raid before the half time whistle blew with the Mo leading 1-0 though in all honesty it could have and should have been more.

As we expected Annan would come out firing in the second half, and they did. Three times they raided down their right hand side and three times long range shots were carefully watched past the post by keeper Fleming who naturally had them covered. Yes Annan were up for it and Montrose had to defend well to take the early steam out of Annan.  That they did and as Annan started to run out of steam their frustration earned them two quick yellow cards. Milne again was causing them problems as a great ball across the face of goal again only needed a touch.

As we entered the last 30 minutes Manager Petrie made the first of his customary substitutions with Graham Webster coming off and Liam Callaghan on in his place. Montrose started to dominate again as Annan lacked direction particularly up front. Paul Watson had a great chance to put the game safe but his 20 yard shot flew just over the top when hit from a central position just outside the box. Seconds later he hit a similar effort at more of an angle but which flew just wide. Annan needed fresh legs and Brandon Luke was replaced by Robbie Hogg with just over 10 minutes to go. Mo responded by bringing on the fresh legs of Craig Johnston to replace the tiring Fraser who had done a job but whose luck was just not in on the day. Matty Allan then managed to find a blank page in the referee’s notebook as he was adjudged to have kicked the ball away to stop a quick Annan free kick. The final Mo substitution was then made to further break up play as Paul Watson was replaced by Terry Masson with less than 10 minutes to go.

As the game entered the final stages Annan were still full of running and fair play to them. They look mainly to be a young side but still they lacked a cutting edge as Montrose dealt capably with what was thrown at them. The final significant looking action saw Matty Allan fall heavily as play was halted for him to have treatment but he managed to see out the last moments of stoppage time as the Mo took home another three points to keep them top of the league for yet another week at least with another 1-0 away win.

After a couple of set backs at Links Park this Galabank encounter was a much better display of controlled aggression play by Montrose who in the main outplayed their hosts for large parts of the game. The only downside if any was that they had only a single goal to show for it but on this occasion it was enough. Bolo had a great comeback game and was as committed as ever whilst Lewis Milne looks to be an exceptional talent who, if he gets even better will be a key player in this second half of the season. Man of the Match today might well again have gone to Allan Fleming who was back to his best but even that was edged out by Sean Dillon who was simply superb on the day with a perfect example of how to defend and impress those around him.

Steve Doyle


Team Lineups & Stats


Ladbrokes SPFL
League Two
Saturday 6th January 2018

1 Alex Mitchell
21 Allan Fleming
2 Scott Hooper
7 Graham Webster (s63)
3 James Creaney
3 Andrew Steeves
4 Owen Moxon (s32)
4 Matty Allan
5 Peter Watson
14 Seán Dillon
6 Steven Swinglehurst
5 Michael Bolochoweckyj
7 Dan Orsi
24 Lewis Milne
8 Rabin Omar
8 Paul Watson (s82)
9 Aiden Smith
9 Gary Fraser (s79)
10 Blair Henderson
10 Chris Templeman
11 Brandon Luke (s73)
17 Jamie Redman
12 Ally Ferguson (GK)
15 Danny Cavanagh
14 Ayrton Sonkur
20 Ross Campbell
15 Robbie Hogg (s73)
2 Terry Masson (s82)
16 Shaun Bell
22 Connor McLaren
17 Kevin Rutkiewicz (s32)
19 Liam Callaghan (s63)
    16 Craig Johnston (s79)
    1 Jordan Millar (GK)

Steven Reid

Assistant Referees:
Paul O'Neill, Colin Drummond

Montrose - Lewis Milne (39)

Yellow Cards:
Annan Athletic - Steven Swinglehurst (61), Peter Watson (74)
Montrose - Matty Allan (81)

Red Cards:


MFC Busines Club



Contact Us

Links Park Stadium

Wellington Street
Angus DD10 8QD

Tel: 01674 673200

Fax: 01674 677311
Commercial Agent: 01674 673200