Montrose 2 Forfar Athletic 0

Montrose Win Battle Against The Loons




Next Match

Raith Rovers v Montrose

Match Details

Pre-Season Friendly
Saturday 19th July 2014
Montrose 5 Cove Rangers 1

Montrose continued their pre-season campaign with a great performance to take a 5-1 win over Cove Rangers at Links Park.
After an uninspiring few minutes, Montrose took the lead 11 minutes in when good work from Paul Watson saw him link up with Ross McCord whose cross was then met by Garry Wood to slot in past former Montrose ‘keeper Sandy Wood.
Just after the quarter hour mark the visitors troubles deepened when Bryan Deasley met a Watson cross to fire into the bottom left corner of the net to make it 2-0.
Just over a minute later Wood came close to making it 3-0 but his strike from the edge of the 18-yard box just went wide of the post.
Montrose kept up the attack with yet another chance coming 20 minutes in with a McCord header though the Cove defence were quick to block the attempt.
The first Cove strike of the game came moments later but the John Smith shot sailed straight into the arms of Stuart McKenzie.
In the 28th minute Smith tried his luck again after a good run down the centre of the part but his shot missed the post by inches.
Two minutes later McKenzie was called into action once again but Connor Scully’s shot from the left proved to be no problem.
In the 35th minute a McCord cross found Watson who fired high and wide from close range. More good work from the home side moments later saw Deasley just fail to find a Scott Johnston cross.
Moments later an opportunistic Deasley punt sailed off the park completely.
With just over five minutes of the half left to go a Watson free kick cleared the wall but just curled around the left post.
Moments before the whistle Paul Watson made it 3-0 when he nodded the ball in from close range.

The visitors made one change at half time with Darren Kelly replacing Alan Redford. Two minutes later they made a change with ‘keeper Wood replaced by Craig Reid.
Wood took a shot for Montrose six minutes into the half when he latched onto a Johnston cross but his shot went straight into Reid’s arms.
A minute later Montrose boss George Shields made five changes with Danny Cavanagh, Scott Webster, Kieran Sturrock, Craig Bell and Stephen O’Neill replacing Steven Robb, Alan Campbell, Graham Webster, Garry Wood and Scott Johnston.
Cove Rangers then made a change when Jamie Lennox replaced Stuart Taylor.
A minute later the visitors pulled back a goal with a strong Eric Watson strike from 25 yards out that shot straight past the Montrose ‘keeper.
Another Cove substitution was made when Barrie Stephen replaced Michael Selfridge.
An opportunity for Deasley in the 64th minute saw him send the ball vertically at close range for it to miss the net entirely.
Three minutes later a great run up the park for Danny Cavanagh saw him get a clear shot at goal only for it to whistle low past the post by inches.
The visitors made a further change when Ryan Stewart replaced Connor Scully.
Montrose made further changes in the 75th minute when Erik Thomson, Kyle McLeod and Declan Milne replaced Deasley, McCord and Watson.
Cove made a further change when Jamie Watt replaced Blair Yule.
Another Montrose chance came with just over seven minutes to go when Kieran Sturrock sent the ball high and wide. But he got his goal moments later when he fired in at close range to make it 4-1.
With four minutes to go Stephen O’Neill took it to 5-1 with a well-taken free-kick that curled straight in past the wall and the ‘keeper.


Contact Us

Links Park Stadium

Wellington Street
Angus DD10 8QD

Tel: 01674 673200

Fax: 01674 677311
Commercial Agent: 01674 673200