Montrose 2 Forfar Athletic 0

Montrose Win Battle Against The Loons




Next Match

Raith Rovers v Montrose

Match Details

Pre-Season Friendly
Tuesday 15th July 2014
Montrose 1 Dundee U20s 2

A bright-looking Montrose side could have seen a far different scoreline against Dundee Under-20s on Tuesday night following a number of good chances.
Montrose pushed on strongly in the opening stages of the game with a shot coming close across the goal in the first minute and a free kick taken by Thomson just sailing over the bar three minutes in.
A mazy run by Deasley saw him send the ball straight into the ‘keeper’s arms in the seventh minute though he did well to fend off pressure from the visiting defence.
Montrose had another free kick a minute later taken by Cavanagh he curled around the wall but the ball was caught well by the visiting ‘keeper.
Good work from Montrose saw yet another good run from Deasley down the wing but his shot failed to find its mark.
But despite Montrose looking the stronger side by far in the opening minutes it was Dundee’s Skelly opened the scoring with a left-footed drive past the ‘keeper with a clear shot at goal.
Another cross by Deasley moments later was blocked by Dundee with Campbell just failing to reach it in time.
S. Webster had a good chance for Montrose with just over 20 minutes gone but the ‘keeper was quick to tip the ball to safety.
With just under half an hour gone Montrose were unlucky once again when Gray sent the ball high and wide.
Deasley almost came close once again with a free kick 30 minutes in when it was stopped by the ‘keeper who then fumbled stopping it going over the line by centimetres to deny the home side yet another chance.
A Hamilton strike with just under five minutes left of the half also failed to find the net for the home side.

At the break Montrose boss George Shields made three changes with McKenzie, G. Webster and Masson replacing S. Webster, Thomson and Scanlan.
Just over five minutes into the second half Montrose levelled the scores when Cavanagh fired the ball in past Brodie to make it 1-1.
It looked like Montrose were about to take the lead 10 minutes into the half when a good link up between McKenzie and Cavanagh saw a brilliant cross through to Deasley who neatly slotted the ball into the net only to be ruled offside.
A further home substitution was made when Deasley made way for Sturrock.
On the hour mark a blinding shot by O’Neill just skimmed the top of the bar. He was then replaced by Donald.
Shields made another couple of changes shortly afterwards with Watson and Milne coming on to replace Hamilton and Cavanagh.
A Watson free kick seconds after coming on was just tipped away by Brodie.
With just under 20 minutes to go it looked like a dead cert for Montrose to take the lead when Watson cross met Sturrock at the goal mouth who sent the ball vertical only for Brodie to catch it on the way back down.
A further Montrose substitution came when Day replaced Gray.
In the 79th minute a McKenzie corner met Watson who just headed it over the bar.
Four minutes later another Watson free kick cleared the wall but was caught well by the ‘keeper.
Montrose continued to push on in the final few minutes of the game with Day, Watson and McKenzie all coming close to getting past Brodie only to be denied.
But it was Dundee that took the lead with almost the final kick of the ball making it 2-1 courtesy of Skelly.


Match Report by Sarah McLean


Contact Us

Links Park Stadium

Wellington Street
Angus DD10 8QD

Tel: 01674 673200

Fax: 01674 677311
Commercial Agent: 01674 673200