Montrose 2 Forfar Athletic 0

Montrose Win Battle Against The Loons




Next Match

Raith Rovers v Montrose

Match Details

Pre-Season Friendly
Saturday 5th July 2014
Brechin City 1 Montrose 0

Montrose Football Club started their build up to season 2014/15 with a one goal defeat to neighbours Brechin City in a low key friendly in the Glebe Park sun on Saturday.
Brechin came into the match on the back of a 5 – 0 defeat by Premiership side Aberdeen the previous week whilst for George Shields side it was their first game of the pre season.
For both sides it certainly a good exercise as they looked to build up their fitness for the new season.
With thirteen signed players in place Montrose manager Shields was looking to add to his squad and this line up included five trialists in goalkeeper Matt McGinley, defender Scott Webster and three midfielders Stephen O’Neil, Danny Cavanagh and Stephen Day all looking to win contracts at Links Park.
The Gable Endies lined up with McGinley in goal. Scott Webster and Bell were in the full back roles with Colin Wilson and Alan Campbell in central defence. The midfield four was Cavanagh, O’Neil, Paul Watson and Day with Garry Wood and Scott Johnston in attack.
With Kyle McLeod injured and Terry Masson and Bryan Deasley on holiday the seven man Montrose bench consisted of Kieran Sturrock, Ross McCord, Declan Milne, Graham Webster, Jonathan Crawford, another trialist in the shape of Connor Gray and goalkeeper Stuart McKenzie.
The Brechin line up also contained three trialists with a further three on the bench.
Chances were few and far between in the opening exchanges of the match with the home side coming the closest in the 13th minute when Campbell did well to cut out a cross from Barr. From Barr’s corner the ball was cleared by the Montrose defence.
Four minutes later a mistake by keeper McGinley saw the ball land at the feet of Ferguson but he shot into the arms of the keeper who made up for his mistake.
Montrose created their first real opportunity in the 23rd minute when Scott Johnston broke from midfield and when he reached the edge of the box he slipped the ball to Garry Wood who crashed a first time effort over the crossbar.
Brechin City were forced into making a change in the 28th minute when new signing Darren McCormack had to leave the field with blood pouring from a head wound he was replaced by McLean.
With ten minutes of the first half remaining Brechin City went close when Barr had his effort saved by McGinley.
With four minutes of the half remaining Brechin City went close again when Campbell fouled Thomson. Thomson took the free kick himself but he rattled his effort off the crossbar.
The first half ended with Brechin City opening the scoring. Thomson’s pass found RYAN FERGUSON inside the area and he fired a low effort past McGinley.
Brechin City restarted the second half with Trouten and Andy Jackson on in place of goalscorer Ferguson and Thomson.
Montrose made five changes with McCord, Milne, Graham Webster, Crawford and Gray coming onto replace Scott Webster, O’Neil, Cavanagh, Watson and Johnston.
With five minutes of the second half gone Montrose won a free kick when Wood was fouled. McCord’s free kick found Day but he could only hook the ball over the crossbar.
The home side should have made it two in the 55th minute when Andy Jackson found himself onside but after rounding McGinley his cut back was blasted over the bar by Trouten.
Dangerman Trouten then collected a clearance at the edge of the area but he could only drill the ball wide of goal.
Brechin City’s trialist striker Liam Buchanan then raced in on goal but his shot was tipped wide by McGinley.
The home side then took off Steven Jackson and replaced him with a trialist.
On the hour mark Craig Bell dinked a great ball over the top but Declan Milne just couldn’t connect with the ball as it dropped inside the area.
On 62 minutes Brechin City made another change with a trialist again replacing their trialist full back.
In the following minute Montrose brought on goalkeeper Stuart McKenzie and Kieran Sturrock for Matthew McGinley and another trialist Day.
The changes continued and Brechin City took off Cameron and a trialist and replaced them with McLauchlan and another trialist.
With fifteen minutes remaining Brechin City went close to adding a second goal a great run by Bobby Barr saw him set up Andy Jackson who hit the bar from close range.
In the 80th minute Jonathan Crawford looped in a header from outside the area which home keeper Graeme Smith gathered just under the crossbar.
Two minutes later Colin Wilson became the only booking of the afternoon when he tripped up Barr as he threatened to run through the away defence. Thankfully for Montrose McKenzie was positioned well to grab the trialist No. 19’s effort under the bar.


Contact Us

Links Park Stadium

Wellington Street
Angus DD10 8QD

Tel: 01674 673200

Fax: 01674 677311
Commercial Agent: 01674 673200