Club News

Back to News


Despite a markedly improved performance from Saturday by Stewart Petrie’s men, a Rumarn Burrell goal for the hosts in first half stoppage time proved the difference in a keenly competitive League One encounter at Balmoral Stadium.

Fraser Fyvie had the first chance of the game for the home side when he fired in a low drive from the edge of the box which was held by Cammy Gill. Cove kept the pressure on and Williamson ran on to a Burrell flick-on before firing into the side-netting.

But the home side were fortunate not to fall behind in the 12th minute as Burrell’s attempted pass back to his defence sent Kane Hester through on goal. Suman got to the ball just before the striker who was booked for his challenge on the Cove goalkeeper.

The Gable Endies took encouragement from their chance and Suman did well to turn a powerful drive from Craig Brown past the post. It was end to end in the opening 20 minutes and Gill made a terrific save to deny Williamson from converting Burrell’s low cross from close range.

Burrell created another chance for Blair Yule but the midfielder’s finish lacked the power to trouble Gill. Montrose had a chance to break the deadlock in the 36th minute when Michael Gardyne’s corner found Blair Lyons free at the back post but Lyons blasted his effort over the crossbar.

The home side punished the visitors for not taking their chance by opening the scoring in first-half stoppage time. Montrose were down to 10 men as Kerr Waddell received treatment and Cove made their extra-man advantage count as Connor Scully’s delivery into the box was flicked on by Mark Reynolds to Burrell who beat Gill from close range.

Montrose put the Cove defence under pressure in the second half but the visitors failed to trouble Suman in the home goal. Miller Thomson had a chance on the edge of the box but he opted for power and lashed his effort wide of goal. Suman then parried a Thomson cross which fell to Andrew Steeves on the edge of the box but the Montrose captain’s shot was blocked.

Cove stood firm before pushing Montrose back in the closing stages and visiting goalkeeper Gill did well to tip away a Fyvie free kick.

Montrose mounted a late rally in the hope of forcing an equaliser but Cove repelled all the visitors could muster to secure victory.

Report and pic courtesy of P&J Sport

Post match reaction