Season Suspended For 3 Weeks

SFA Announce 3 Week Suspension For Clubs Below Championship

Read More

Next Match


Match Details

Montrose FC Live Streaming

LIVE STREAMING Service Launched

Montrose FC LIVE

CLUB 500


Read More & Join Today


Montrose 4 Clyde 0

Montrose made changes to their starting line up at the top end in an effort to find a scoring combination. Young Shaun Struthers made the starting line up alongside Lyons on the left and Webster on the right. Otherwise it was the same as before except Johnston and Callaghan did not make the bench as they were unavailable. For Clyde the experienced striker David Goodwillie led the attack. Referee for the day was Peter Stuart who got the game underway in dry weather in front of a modest crowd of 583

Clyde made the early running and looked quick and sharp. It was they who created the first chance as a misplaced pass was intercepted and fortunately for Montrose the 25 yard Clyde shot went wide – it could have been worse. After that let off Montrose came more into it and a Dillon/Webster move was almost turned in by the lurking Struthers but an outstretched leg diverted it for a corner which came to nothing.

Right back to the other end it went and the lively Johnston for Clyde saw his snap shot just clear the bar. In response Montrose flattered to deceive at the other end as a Webster cross was headed over by a diving Masson. The Mo were more in it now with both sides having had chances in the first 15 minutes but the best for Montrose came as Webster went clear but agonisingly his shot across the onrushing keeper went just the wrong side of the far post.

The game then settled down as midfield took over but both sides knew the other was well capable of scoring in the event of a mistake. That almost came as Matty Allan slipped unusually for him and the ball fell nicely for danger man Goodwillie but his curling shot just cleared the angle of bar and post from 25 yards. Then the moves which turned the game in Montrose’s favour. Blair Lyons was in on the keeper in the 35th minute but was tackled at the last gasp as he was about to pull the trigger. No matter as in the very next minute a Lyons/Struthers move down the right ended with the ball being crossed hard and low for ANDREW STEEVES to power it into the net to make it 1-0. It was to be a defining moment as Clyde up to that point had more than held their own.
The second half started with Clyde fired up again and Aaron Lennox had to be sharp to tip a 30 yarder over the bar. Not long afterwards it was Lennox again who acrobatically saved another goal bound effort. All Clyde at this point as Smith went in one on one with Lennox but fired harmlessly into the side netting. Clyde were to rue not scoring at that point of the game.

Montrose started the substitutions on the 56 minute mark with Watson on for Cammy F to add a bit more experience and stop the Clyde surge forward. Then Lennox earned his corn yet again with another wonder save in fact a double save as most watching the game were sure the ball was goal bound. Goodwillie looked bemused as his efforts were foiled. Clyde then made a change with Lamont on for McMullin just before the hour mark but from now on it was Montrose who took complete charge. Lyons was a handful down the left and only an outstretched foot by keeper Mitchell prevented a Lyons effort from going in. Then another substitution for Montrose after 63 minutes as Rennie replaced Struthers. Lyons was foiled again amazingly in similar fashion as before with an outstretched boot from keeper Mitchell but the young striker was not to be denied all afternoon. In 66 minutes the game was made more secure. Webster did well down the right and with keeper Mitchell in two minds he was caught in no mans land. Webby hit the ball across the box and BLAIR LYONS made no mistake as he volleyed it into the centre of the net to make it 2-0

Clyde looked beaten with 20 minutes to go and Webster should have made it three when one on one but amazingly his shot again went the wrong side of the post. Niang was replaced by Milne as Clyde made a double change with Love and their own Lyon on for Grant and Smith. Too little too late however as Montrose put gloss on the scoreline with two late goals both from MARTIN RENNIE. His first and Montrose’s third was a brilliant header at the near post from a cunning Milne corner wide left. The next and Montrose’s fourth goal came it the 89th minute as Cammy B centred it for Martin Rennie to control, swivel and shoot low into the net past Mitchell who had no chance to save it.

An unfortunate last piece of action saw Paul Watson get the only yellow card of the game for a trip but overall it was a comprehensive win for Montrose. The early Clyde storm was resisted and young Bair Lyons was rightly given Man of the Match but Matty Allan pushed him all the way for that accolade. Final score 4-0 to Montrose.

So on the Falkirk next week and another chance for Montrose to send the Links Park crowd home happy again.

Steve Doyle

Team Lineups & Stats

Ladbrokes SPFL
League 1

Saturday 14th December 2019

21 Aaron Lennox
1 David Mitchell (c)
2 Cammy Ballantyne 
2 Kieran Duffie
3 Andrew Steeves
3 Michael McMullin (s59)
14 Seán Dillon
4 Alex Petkov
4 Matty Allan
5 Scott Rumsby
6 Terry Masson (c)
6 Raymond Grant (s74)
20 Blair Lyons
7 Darren Smith (s73)
22 Cammy F Ballantyne (s56)
8 Chris McStay
7 Graham Webster
9 David Goodwillie
24 Shaun Struthers (s64)
10 Barry Cuddihy
12 Mouhamed Niang (s73)
11 Chris Johnston
9 Martin Rennie (s64)
12 Tony Wallace
18 Iain Campbell
14 Mark Lamont (s59)
8 Paul Watson (s56)
15 Ally Love (s73)
11 Lewis Milne (s73)
16 Ross Lyon (s74)
23 Joel MacBeath
17 Luke McNiven
15 Ross Campbell
21 Michael McGee
1 Allan Fleming (GK)    

Peter Stuart

Assistant Referees:
John McCrossan, Michael McCart

Montrose - Andrew Steeves (38), Blair Lyons (66), Martin Rennie (85, 89)

Yellow Cards:

Montrose - Paul Watson (90)

Red Cards:



Contact Us

Links Park Stadium

Wellington Street
Angus DD10 8QD

Tel: 01674 673200

Fax: 01674 677311
Operations Manager: 01674 673200