Montrose 3 Forfar Athletic 0

Mo Celebrate 140th Anniversary With Sixth Win In A Row




Next Match

Peterhead v Montrose

Match Details

Team Group Photo 2019/20

Montrose FC Team Group Photo

Team Photo

Phoenix Photoshop

Next Match

Peterhead v Montrose
Ladbrokes SPFL League 1
Borough Briggs Stadium, Peterhead
Saturday 16th November 2019
Kick Off: 3.00m

League 1 Table 2019/20

Team   P 
Raith Rovers
13 24
East Fife
13 24
13 23
13 22
13 17
13 16
13 15
13 10
Forfar Athletic
13 10


Montrose 3 Forfar Athletic 0

Montrose celebrated the club’s 140th anniversary with a sixth consecutive victory.
On a cold and occasionally wet afternoon, the home side were the better team throughout, coming off the back of an impressive unbeaten run.

They were the first to threaten the opposition, Blair Lyons cutting inside from the left before shooting straight at visiting goalkeeper Marc McCallum.

Loanee Mohamed Niang also came close, bulleting a header wide of the post from a Graham Webster free kick.

Lyons’ close control continued to torment Forfar, the forward having a shot palmed over the crossbar after a mazy dribble in the 32nd minute. From the corner that followed, Liam Callaghan poked the pole to the feet of BLAIR LYONS, who hammered his shot into the net.

Forfar came close to equalising four minutes later, but Callum Tapping could only shoot wide from the edge of the box.

At the other end, Martin Rennie had a shot from the edge of the box deflected wide, and Webster turned his marker before shooting over.

The dying minutes of the first half saw Rennie twice head over the bar, once from a Liam Callaghan cross and then from Webster’s resultant corner.

Montrose doubled their lead almost immediately after the restart. Graham Webster’s free kick into the Forfar box was headed past his own goalkeeper by visiting defender DARREN WHYTE, under pressure from Sean Dillon.

Webster, the Ladbrokes League 1 player of the month for October, looked to continue his impressive scoring run, but could only fire over from the edge of the box in the 51st minute.

Forfar’s best chance of the second half saw Dale Hilson break free from his marker and bear down on Aaron Lennox, but his attempt at a cute lob went awry, and the ball flew harmlessly wide of the post.

Visiting substitute Ross Forbes had a shot held by Lennox on the hour mark, and Webster was denied by the post from a free kick nine minutes later.

Montrose completed the scoring in the 81st minute, Forfar’s Scott Robertson passing the ball straight to the feet of substitute SHAUN STRUTHERS, who jinked into the box and dispatched a shot beyond the helpless McCallum.

Webster again tried his luck from a free kick in the 85th minute, shooting over, and a Cammy Ballantyne mazy run ended with a shot over the bar in stoppage time.

Mark Rae

Team Lineups & Stats

Ladbrokes SPFL
League 1

Saturday 9th November 2019

21 Aaron Lennox
1 Marc McCallum
2 Cammy Ballantyne 
2 Ross Meechan
3 Andrew Steeves
3 Mark Docherty
14 Seán Dillon
4 Darren Whyte
4 Matty Allan
5 Michael Travis (c)
12 Mohamed Niang
6 Scott Robertson
20 Blair Lyons (s72)
7 Jamie Bain (s49)
6 Terry Masson (c)
8 Archie McPhee
7 Graham Webster
9 Dale Hilson
9 Martin Rennie (s82)
10 Callum Tapping
19 Liam Callaghan (s77)
11 Connor Coupe (s49)
18 Iain Campbell
12 Jordan Kirkpatrick (s49)
5 Kerr Waddell
14 Ross Forbes (s49)
16 Craig Johnston
15 Gary Irvine
22 Cammy F Ballantyne (s77)
16 Sean Burns
24 Shaun Struthers (s72)
17 Murray Mackintosh
23 Joel MacBeath (s82)
21 Sam McGuff (GK)
1 Allan Fleming (GK)    

Barry Cook

Assistant Referees:
Gary Hilland, Andrew Bryson

Montrose - Blair Lyons (33), Darren Whyte (47 og), Shaun Struthers (81)

Yellow Cards:
Forfar Athletic - Dale Hilson (21), Michael Travis (84)

Red Cards:

Aidan Marshall



East Fife 0 Montrose 1

A great away day from the Mighty Mo to extend their winning run to an incredible 5 games and once again a good away following in a crowd of 704.

The Fifers almost took the lead from the first attack of the game but Denholm’s shot was smothered by Lennox at the foot of the post. It was Denholm again who managed to clear the bar from close range when a goal looked more likely and East Fife were later to pay for those misses.

For Montrose Webster was troubling the Fifers defence all afternoon and he had the first strike on goal from 25 yards which keeper Hart held. Back came East Fife with Denholm again the trouble-maker but his cross come shot had no takers at the far post.

It became end to end stuff as Montrose got more into the game as both Webster and Callaghan had chances, the latter particularly might have done better after MacBeath set him up nicely inside the box. Lots of action and still inside the first 15 minutes.

Montrose won two corners and from the first East Fife cleared and swarmed downfield in numbers but Dillon thwarted them and his long ball brought another corner for Montrose. End to end stuff. Cammy Ballantyne at this point was not able to do his usual wing back role as his hands were full just defending the fast tricky Denholm as East Fife attacked impressively. Yet it was Montrose who also created chances as well to worry the home fans.

The telling first goal came as a long ball down the left was held up nicely by MacBeath who fed Sena and in turn fed GRAHAM WEBSTER whose shot across the keeper from the right nestled neatly in the far bottom corner to make it 1-0 to Montrose after 37 minutes.

Cue East Fife pressure which Steeves halted and got yellow carded for his efforts. Moments later Sena for Montrose was similarly upended but no card this time. Nevertheless at 1-0 half-time it was looking good for the Mo.

Surprisingly the second half started slowly and it was Montrose who earned the first corner of the half but it was hit too long. Then East Fife won a corner as Lennox tipped over a stinging 25 yard shot and that lead to another 25 yard shot well wide. Then a huge let off for East Fife as Webster crossed for Masson just outside the box. His shot cannoned back as it looked goal bound and Lyons tried to force the rebound in but that also was deflected for a corner.

Montrose did finally have it in the net again but a linesman’s flag ruled it out. East fife were becoming desperate as the clock wound down and their undefeated record looked in danger.

Montrose dropped deeper but kept East Fife at arm’s length whilst at the same time themselves creating chances. Webster again rattled them and it took keeper Hart’s finger tips to prevent another score.

The last 10 minutes were desperate for East Fife, a shot was charged down by the massed Montrose defenders. Sena was showing Mo fans what a good prospect he is as he settled into the side well and it was his determination that almost led to a breakaway goal for Masson but his shot agonisingly went the wrong side of the post.

No matter as the last couple of East Fife attacks passed without any trouble as the final whistle sounded just over 4 minutes into stoppage time. A fifth successive win for Montrose and a third successive away win, this time by 1-0 and thoroughly deserved.

Steve Doyle

Team Lineups & Stats

SPFL League 1

Saturday 2nd November 2019

21 Jordan Hart
21 Aaron Lennox
3 Chris Higgins
2 Cammy Ballantyne
4 Stewart Murdoch (S76)
3 Andrew Steeves
5 Ross Dunlop
14 Seán Dillon
18 Daniel Church
4 Matty Allan
2 Aaron Dunsmore (S72)
12 Mouhamed Niang
11 Scott Agnew (c)
20 Blair Lyons
7 Danny Denholm
8 Paul Watson (c) (s56)
16 Ross Davidson
7 Graham Webster 
15 Anton Dowds
23 Joel Macbeath (s53)
20 Steven Boyd
19 Liam Callaghan (S77)
1 Brett Long (GK)
18 Iain Campbell
6 Craig Watson (S76)
5 Kerr Waddell
8 Patrick Slattery
6 Terry Masson (s56)
10 Jamie Allan
22 Cameron F Ballantyne (S77)
12 Lewis Hunter
24 Shaun Struthers
14 Liam Watt )S72) 16 Craig Johnston (s53)
17 Josh McConville 1 Allan Fleming (GK)

David Lowe

Assistant Referees:
Michael Banks, Kevin McElhinney

Montrose - Graham Webster (37)

Yellow Cards:
East Fife - Aaron Dunsmore (58), Ross Davidson (84)
Montrose - Andrew Steeves (39), Craig Johnston (62), Blair Lyons (68)

Red Cards:



Airdrieonians 1 Montrose 3

Manager Stewart Petrie had the luxury once again of having a settled squad for this game at Airdrie as Montrose looked to make it three wins on the bounce and edge away from the bottom two in League 1. The crowd of 642 was boosted by a good Montrose away support who were very noisy as usual.

Referee Graham Beaton got the game underway and Steeves broke up the first Airdrie attack with a long ball downfield but out of reach of a Montrose attacker. Back came Airdrie and what turned out to be their best threat was their long throw in specialist. The first goal came from just that as Montrose failed to deal with it the first time and also failed to attack the second ball which was hooked in comfortably by CALLUM SMITH in the 3rd minute to make it 1-0.

At that point Montrose were yet to have possession of the ball in the opposition half. After the set back things fortunately changed and Montrose gained more possession and became a real threat going forward. Webster had the better of his defender throughout the game and with wing back Ballantyne linking with him it became all too much for the home side.

Lyons was first to show a threat on the left however as he weaved his way along the goal line but his shot from a tight angle was gathered by keeper Willison. Watson then tried his luck from 30 yards, but it was deflected for a corner which came to nothing except two more corners which also went a-begging.

The impressive Webster then opened up the Airdrie defence when he turned his man but his shot was also saved by Willison. Another Cammy – Webster- MacBeath move almost brought the equaliser but again Willison came to the Airdrie rescue. Would Montrose capitalise on this spell of pressure or make a mistake at the back? The answer came from young BLAIR LYONS who gathered the ball wide left then worked his way across the edge of the 18 yard box before hitting a rocket shot past Willison to make it 1-1 in the 16th minute and deservedly so.

Montrose were still being troubled by long throw ins at the other end but equally were having the better of the play and looked the better side especially down both attacking flanks. Another surge down the right by Cammy then Webster saw the latter swing the ball across field to Lyons who beat his man again and his shot come cross fell right for GRAHAM WEBSTER to tap it in to make in 2-1 to Montrose in the 31st minute.

Cue Airdrie pressure as they found themselves behind and a mix up in the Montrose defence almost let them in but the ball bobbled out for a corner which was overhit. Back at the other end Montrose won a corner and Callaghan agonisingly saw his volley just clear the angle of post and crossbar. Half time came with Montrose leading 2-1 but with the long throw in problem to sort out in the dressing room.

As the second half started Lennox had to move smartly to cut out a long ball as Smith burst through. From his clearance Lyons used his speed to break through the middle but was taken out as the Airdrie lad received the first yellow card of the day. Airdrie up to the hour mark looked the livelier side in the second half but with no great threat up top although

As Airdrie tried everything to break down Sean Dillon’s back line Montrose had a spell when they just couldn’t get the ball away and it was finally ended by a welcome offside flag. Johnston then used his pace and let fly with a rocket which cleared the bar. Another Airdrie substitution brought Roberts on for McKay after 70 minutes but by now Montrose had weathered the second half Airdrie pressure and regained the upperhand. Steeves hit a 30 yarder which disappeared into a large empty stand behind the goals. Then Webster worked his way from the right-hand corner flag and his low cross led to a scramble in the 6-yard box until it was hooked clear.

Wedderburn saw yellow for Airdrie for fouling Webster twice within seconds of each other as two yellow cards were dished out to Montrose, firstly to Dillon for a foul on the edge of the box and secondly to Lennox for time wasting although it did seem he thought it was a free kick rather than a goal kick.

Just as it looked like Montrose were playing out time for a 2-1 victory Johnston skinned his man down the right and crossed low for BLAIR LYONS to notch his second goal of the day to make it a 3-1 win instead. Although the cross went behind him he swivelled and hit a lovely volley into the net from close range.

A thoroughly deserved win for Montrose and next week they return to Links Park and welcome Stranraer.

Steve Doyle

Team Lineups & Stats

SPFL League 1

Saturday 19th October 2019

21 Reece Willison
21 Aaron Lennox
6 Callum Fordyce
2 Cammy Ballantyne
2 Kyle MacDonald
3 Andrew Steeves
12 Paul McKay (s72)
14 Seán Dillon
5 Sean Crighton (c)
4 Matty Allan
4 Joshua Kerr
22 Cammy F Ballantyne (s79)
9 Calum Gallagher (s64)
20 Blair Lyons
17 Callum Smith
8 Paul Watson (c) (s66)
8 Nat Wedderburn
7 Graham Webster
10 Dean Hawkshaw
23 Joel Macbeath (s66)
19 Leon McCann
19 Liam Callaghan
20 Andrew McNeil
18 Iain Campbell
15 Dale Carrick (s64)
5 Kerr Waddell
14 Kurtis Roberts (s72)
6 Terry Masson (s79)
32 Charlie Reilly
12 Mouhamed Niang (s66)
29 James Cowan
24 Shaun Struthers
26 Andrew Barrowman 16 Craig Johnston (s66)
22 Joseph Moore 1 Allan Fleming (GK)

Graham Beaton

Assistant Referees:
Graham McNellie, Euan Birch

Airdrieonians - Callum Smith (3)
Montrose -
Blair Lyons (16, 90+3), Graham Webster (31)

Yellow Cards:
Airdrieonians - Paul McKay (53)
Montrose - Aaron Lennox (88)

Red Cards:



Montrose 2 Stranraer 1

Again Montrose were able to name and unchanged squad for this game against Stranraer. Although the visitors are in bottom place in the table Montrose were well aware they were in fact not a bad side and it’s just as well because that was exactly the case as it turned out. Montrose had to fight hard for the three points.

A crowd of 611 included a sprinkling of visiting fans and referee John McKendrick got the game away in bright sunshine. The ball was in the back of the Stranraer net inside two minutes as Webster nipped in front of goalkeeper Currie and headed home but the nearside linesman had his flag up for offside against what can only be another player as it looked like Webster himself wasn’t offside when the cross came in.

An early let off for Stranraer who broke to the other end and Hilton hit a shot out of nothing which just went wide. Stranraer were breaking fast down both flanks and down the middle showing early intent but both Dillon and Allan countered all that came their way.

Montrose came more into it and won the first corner of the game after 10 minutes but it was hit too long by Callaghan. Then Steeves hammered his way down the left and won another corner which also was wasted. A third corner to Montrose after 17 minutes brought more success however when it was again hit long but this time SEÁN DILLON was there at the back post to side foot it in after it had cleared the jostling forwards and defenders. So 1-0 to Montrose and it was an important early strike in such a key game.

Back came Stranraer and Montrose gave away a needless corner which Lennox managed to gather. He was busy again moments later as Stranraer broke swiftly through the middle and should have done better but hesitation allowed Dillon to sweep it away for a throw in. Stranraer were in the ascendancy at the half hour point but failed to capitalise.

Watson then gathered, turned and let fly from 25 yards and Currie did well to tip it over for a corner which came to nothing.

Another Stranraer chance emerged as Steeves slipped to leave the wing player in on goal but a poor cross saved the day for Montrose.

Watson again tried from distance but didn’t connect well then the first half ended with a Stranraer move down the left but no takers for the cross as the whistle went at 1-0 to Montrose.

The visitors came out fired up for the second half knowing they had to get something from the game and apart from a Lyons jinky run ending in a shot just wide, it was Stranraer who had a purple patch of possession. Thomson tried his luck as Lennox tipped it over at point blank range, and Lennox punched away the resultant kick.

Then in another attack the offside flag saved the day for Montrose.

Montrose had weathered the early second half storm but were still rather flat and did not look comfortable. That almost changed however as a Webster – Callaghan - Ballantyne move saw the latter crash a shot into the side netting.

Coming up to 20 minutes to go and Stranraer equalised when Montrose failed to clear their lines and JAMES HILTON nipped in to tap in from close range to make it 1-1.

Frankly that goal was coming and Montrose had to find a way of upping the pace again to get on the front foot otherwise the game might slip away. Another Watson 30 yard shot just past the post might have gone in on another day then Cammy of old hit a thunderbolt which was tipped over for a corner which again was hit too long.

Still Stranraer threatened and Montrose were penned back with only MacBeath up front and having a quiet game. With less than 10 minutes to go Masson replaced Callaghan to reinforce midfield and try for the winner.

That came moments later as Webster did well to turn his man and cross into the middle. It was scrambled away but Sena reacted smartly and setup the onrushing CAMMY BALLANTYNE who thundered it past Currie to make it 2-1 to Montrose in the 84th minute.

Stranraer tried to salvage a point going into stoppage time but half chances were squandered firstly as a 25 yarder cleared the crossbar easily and a second similar effort went the same way as Ballantyne misjudged a long ball over the top.

It was Ballantyne’s only error however in what was a Man of the Match performance by him. Final score 2-1 to Montrose who not only put more daylight between them and 10th place but also moved up the table within reach of others who in turn are looking upwards as well.

Montrose next move on to East Fife to try and make it five wins in a row.

Steve Doyle

Team Lineups & Stats

Ladbrokes SPFL
League 1

Saturday 26th October 2019

21 Aaron Lennox
1 Max Currie
2 Cammy Ballantyne
2 Scott Robertson
3 Andrew Steeves
3 Jordan Allan
14 Seán Dillon
4 Adam Cummins (c)
4 Matty Allan
5 Lee Hamilton
22 Cammy F Ballantyne (s61)
6 Connor McManus
20 Blair Lyons (s71)
12 Carlo Pignatiello
8 Paul Watson (c)
23 Ryan Thomson
7 Graham Webster
77 Andrew Stirling
23 Joel MacBeath
7 James Hilton
19 Liam Callaghan (s83)
14 Cameron Elliot
18 Iain Campbell
9 Mark Stewart (s69)
5 Kerr Waddell
10 Leon Murphy
6 Terry Masson (s83)
11 Ian Smith
12 Mohamed Niang (s61)
15 Robert Jones (s69)
24 Shaun Struthers (s71)
17 David Smith
16 Craig Johnston 18 David Dangana (s87)
1 Allan Fleming (GK) 21 Dale Burgess (GK)

John McKendrick

Assistant Referees:
Andrew McWilliam, Barry Reid

Montrose - Seán Dillon (17), Cammy Ballantyne (84)
Stranraer - James Hilton (71)

Yellow Cards:
Stranraer - Scott Robertson (37), Jordan Allan (64)

Red Cards:

Match Sponsor:
Montrose Port Authority

Olivia Paton



Clyde 0 Montrose 2

It was a more settled Montrose side which started the game at Broadwood as Manager Stewart Petrie kept faith with his line up. There were changes on the bench however as Fleming was missing his wife having had a baby just a couple of days before – congratulations to both of them. Also making the bench were new loan signings Shaun Struthers and Mouhamed Niang who appeared to be known as Sena on the on the pitch and with the large Montrose travelling support in a crowd of 721. It has to be said that the Mo travelling support is immense these days and must lift the players.

Referee was Steven Kirkland but missing from the Clyde side was David Goodwillie who was suspended.

The game started very quietly and it was fully four minutes before either side launched a serious attack. That was Clyde down the centre followed by a weak shot which was deflected for a corner punched away by Lennox or at least partly punched away with Ballantyne of old completing the tidy up. Montrose swept quickly up the other end but too quickly for the nearside linesman who called a halt with his offside flag. Undeterred Montrose tried again with Webster beating his man down the right before having his shot beaten out. It was Webster again moments later as he got on the end of a vicious cross from Steeves but the volley soared over the bar. This flurry of Montrose attacking brought the best out of Hamish – I’m sure you will know what I mean.

Montrose continued to have the better of the first half as Clyde struggled to string anything together. Webster had a free kick from just outside the box blocked and Watson was about to pull the trigger from 25 yards when his effort was blocked at source. Then the Mo pressure almost paid off as Lyons went on a great run down the left and his cross was met by McBeath and destined for the back of the net but hit Webster on the way and went wide.

Meanwhile Clyde did have another attack and Lennox had to move smartly to clear the danger with Dillon completing the tidy up this time and not only that but his long ball downfield had McBeath swivelling in the box and seeing his effort agonisingly trundle past the wrong side of the post.

Then the first yellow card of the game as Dillon was adjudged to have sinned over on the far side. Then a similar incident also on the far side had Lyons brought down but no card this time.

Montrose had to beware of being caught off guard and indeed Clyde did have the ball in the net first but an offside flag saved the day. That was following a set piece and Montrose do still seem to struggle in dealing with such set pieces.

As the game looked to be drifting to a goal-less first half it suddenly sprung into decisive action. Matty Allan sent Cammy Ballantyne of old scampering into the opposition penalty area where he was brought down in full flight. A clear penalty but strangely no card for the awful tackle. The penalty was converted smoothly by GRAHAM WEBSTER to male it 1-0 after 41 minutes. Could Montrose hold that lead going into the interval? The answer was yes they could and not only that but increase the lead to 2-0 after 44 minutes when Cammy of old again scampered through the mid right-hand side. Again he was crudely brought down (again no card) but referee Kirkland played advantage as Cammy the younger latched onto the ball, swept it hard and low for young JOEL McBEATH to sweep it in from point blank range under pressure.

The second half started with Clyde looking to gain more possession but this Montrose side was determined to stand strong and use the pace of their youngsters up front to ring alarm bells in the Clyde defence with both Lyons and McBeath running their socks off. Dillon and Co. were almost caught however by a clever dummy in the centre of their box but unfortunately for Clyde their own player was foxed by it as well. Webster was again unlucky as his shot from a tight angle grazed the post then Watson saw yellow for a late tackle which was no worse than the above mentioned tackles on Ballantyne.

Substitution ‘season’ started about the hour mark with Clyde replacing Cuddihy with Wallace and for Montrose Niang (aka Sena) came on for the yellow carded Watson. A few minutes later Montrose brought McBeath off with Rennie going on to break up a period of Clyde dominance.

Webster was next to see yellow as the Clyde keeper and he tangled for a loose ball outside the penalty area, a ball which Webster was fully entitled to compete for. Instead the ball was trapped beneath them and referee Kirkland booked both players for squaring up to each other. Montrose re-gained the upper hand as Cammy the younger hit a shot which was parried away with Steeves hitting a 30 yarder which was last seen a mile or two down the road. Both sides made further substitutions which for Montrose was Johnston on for Lyons as the Mo wound down the clock. The last flurries of action saw Callaghan booked for getting in the way of a free kick and Rennie being red carded for one can only think the referee considered to be an elbow offence. After 3 minutes stoppage time the referee had had enough and blew for a 2-0 win for the Mo.

With additions to the squad and key players coming back into the squad this Montrose side could do without a weeks’ break next weekend but buoyed by two successive wins it must be carried forward to Airdrie on 19th October. A well deserved win with no obvious weak links.

Steve Doyle

Team Lineups & Stats

SPFL League 1

Saturday 5th October 2019

1 David Mitchell (c)
21 Aaron Lennox
2 Barry Cuddihy (s59)
2 Cammy Ballantyne
3 Martin McNiff
3 Andrew Steeves
4 Craig Howie
14 Seán Dillon
5 Scott Rumsby
4 Matty Allan
6 Raymond Grant
22 Cammy F Ballantyne
7 Chris Johnston
20 Blair Lyons (s85)
8 Christopher McStay
8 Paul Watson (c) (s61)
9 Darren Smith
7 Graham Webster
10 Mark Lamont (s84)
23 Joel Macbeath (s64)
11 Alistair Love (s45)
19 Liam Callaghan
12 Kieran Duffie (s84)
5 Kerr Waddell
14 Ross Lyon (s45)
6 Terry Masson
15 Tony Wallace (s59)
12 Mouhamed Niang (s61)
16 Liam Allison
24 Shaun Struthers
21 Michael McGee (GK)
9 Martin Rennie (s64)
    16 Craig Johnston (s85)
    1 Ross Matthews (GK)

Steven Kirkland

Assistant Referees:
Michael Banks, Elliot Husband Powton

Montrose - Graham Webster (41pen), Cammy F Ballantyne (44)

Yellow Cards:
Clyde - David Mitchell (78)
Montrose - Seán Dillon (30), Joel Macbeath (37), Paul Watson (58), Graham Webster (78)

Red Cards:
Montrose - Martin Rennie (87)



Contact Us

Links Park Stadium

Wellington Street
Angus DD10 8QD

Tel: 01674 673200

Fax: 01674 677311
Commercial Agent: 01674 673200