Forfar Athletic 2 Montrose 0

Losing Streak Continues at Station Park


Next Match

Montrose v Peterhead

Match Details

Petrofac Training Cup
First Round
Saturday 26th July 2014
Montrose 0 Peterhead 3

THREE first half goals and two red cards saw Montrose succumb to a comprehensive defeat in their first competitive match of the season.
Strikes from former Montrose man Andy Rodgers, Rory McAllister and James Stevenson had Peterhead in front at the break, while Montrose's Graham Webster and Garry Wood were shown straight red cards either side of half time.
Montrose had sought to take the match to their League One opponents early on, Ross McCord sending a free kick over the Peterhead wall and forcing visiting goalkeeper Graeme Smith to make a save.
But it took only five minutes for Peterhead to open the scoring, ANDY RODGERS sending a glancing header in at the far post, with Ross Graham unable to clear off the line.
Montrose forward Scott Johnston was given the chance to equalise 10 minutes later when he was sent clear down the right, but he made life difficult for himself with a heavy first touch and could only drag his shot wide of the target.
Peterhead capitalised on the let-off, JAMIE McALLISTER sent clear on goal and slipping a shot into Stuart McKenzie's bottom corner.
Despite having fallen two goals behind, Montrose continued to create chances of their own, and could have reduced the deficit in the 20th minute had Stephen O'Neill had more composure when teed up by Webster's square ball, instead of blasting his shot well over the crossbar.
The lay-off again proved dangerous, and again Peterhead took advantage, Rodgers cutting the ball back for JAMIE STEVENSON to sidefoot into the net.
Montrose's afternoon went from bad to worse in the 33rd minute when Graham Webster was shown a straight red card following a 50:50 challenge with Peterhead's Jamie Redman, who went unpunished.
The Peterhead onslaught continued, McAllister coming close to adding his second goal with a low shot that was tipped wide and a curled shot from 20 yards out that bounced off the junction of the post and crossbar before dropping out for a goal kick.
Montrose had the final attack of the first half, McCord having a header tipped wide from a Steven Robb free kick.
Montrose's slim hopes of taking something from the match were all but extinguished four minutes into the second half when captain Garry Wood was shown a straight red card for a professional foul, referee Colin Steven ruling that he had tripped McAllister when the Peterhead man was clear through on goal, although it looked as though there was minimal contact between the two.
Once Wood had been dismissed and Montrose assistant manager Lee Wilkie had been banished to the stand for protesting the red card, McAllister sent his free kick wide of the post from the edge of the box.
From that point onwards, Peterhead seemed content to retain possession without threatening too often, although they did occasionally attempt to extend their lead with long-range shots. Stevenson had a shot held by McKenzie, while at the other end of the park, Paul Watson shot straight at Smith from the edge of the box.
Peterhead substitute - and another former Montrose player - David Cox sent a header wide of goal from Rodgers' cross in the 56th minute, and Stevenson had a free kick well saved on the hour mark.
The match petered out in the final half hour, Stevenson coming closest to adding to the scoresheet with two long-range shots.

Match Report from Mark Rae


Contact Us

Links Park Stadium

Wellington Street
Angus DD10 8QD

Tel: 01674 673200

Fax: 01674 677311
Commercial Agent: 01674 673200