Montrose 4 Formartine United 3

Pre Season Off to a Winning Start


Next Match

Montrose v Arbroath

Match Details

202/23 Season Tickets Out Now


Read More

Buy Now

Season Ticket Instalments

Season 2021/22 in Pictures

View The Images From Montrose's 2021/22 Campaign


CLUB 500


Read More & Join Today


Montrose 1 Arbroath 5

Scottish Professional Football League
League 2
Saturday 25th October 2014

MONTROSE slipped to their second derby defeat in the space of a fortnight, shipping five goals and having their goalkeeper sent off for the second successive match.
Arbroath were on the attack from the kick-off, Dylan Carreiro shooting at home goalkeeper Lucas Birnstingl from the edge of the box. Montrose also came close early on, Garry Wood shooting across the goal only to see the ball fly inches wide of the post.
Bryan Deasley came close in the sixth minute, shooting wide from the edge of the box. Arbroath should have opened the scoring in the 10th minute, Simon Murray backheeling the ball to Paul McManus, only to see his strike partner blast the ball over the bar from eight yards out.
Montrose almost capitalised on the error, Graham Webster slipping the ball to Deasley, only for the former Forfar man to drag his shot wide of the target.
Arbroath finally made the breakthrough in the 17th minute when Bobby Linn passed the ball into McManus in the box, the striker flicking the ball to the back post, where the unmarked SIMON MURRAY slid in to poke the ball into the unguarded bottom corner.
They should have doubled their advantage in the 32nd minute, McManus taking the ball around Birnstingl and firing a left foot shot towards the empty net, only for the ball to bounce back off the post. The rebound was met by Adam Harwood, Montrose's  on-loan centre back knocking it out for a corner.
Murray came close to adding his second goal of the afternoon in the 36th minute, beating Harwood before shooting at Birnstingl from the edge of the box.
In the final minutes of the first half, Arbroath's Murray had a shot saved and Deasley had a shot from wide on the left punched clear.
The second half started with Montrose on the attack, Deasley breaking clear in the Arbroath box, only to fire over when one-on-one with Crawford.
Carreiro came close in the 49th minute, running down the left before cutting inside and shooting at Birnstingl.
But DYLAN CARREIRO made no mistakes three minutes later, lashing a shot into the bottom corner from 25 yards out.
Montrose were given a glimmer of hope when Kevin Nicoll tripped Scott Johnston in the box in the 56th minute, GARRY WOOD sending the penalty low to Crawford's right.
Both sides had chances in the following 10 minutes, Keiran Stewart having a header held and Paul Watson shooting at Crawford.
Arbroath substitute Kevin Buchan should have extended his side's lead in the 76th minute, but he hooked his shot wide despite being unmarked in the box.
When it came, Arbroath's third goal came from the unlikeliest of sources. Goalkeeper DAVID CRAWFORD  thumped a free kick up the park from 10 yards outside his own box. The ball bounced once, flew through the hands of Birnstingl and into the net. The Montrose bench immediately protested that the ball had been moving in the wind when Crawford took the kick, but referee Craig Charleston allowed the goal to stand.
Montrose's afternoon went from bad to worse six minutes from the end, Birnstingl shown a straight red card for a foul on McManus in the Montrose box. Montrose had already used all three of their substitutions, so Garry Wood pulled on the goalkeeper's jersey and gloves for the final Arbroath onslaught.
His first touch of the ball after doing so was to pick the ball out of the net, PAUL McMANUS sending the penalty to the stand-in keeper's right.
McMANUS completed the scoring two minutes into stoppage time, taking a touch in the box and sending a shot into the bottom corner.

Match Report from Mark Rae


Contact Us

Links Park Stadium

Wellington Street
Angus DD10 8QD

Tel: 01674 673200

Fax: 01674 677311
Operations Manager: 01674 673200