Airdrieonians 6 Montrose 4 (aet)

Airdrieonians Break Mo Hearts In Ten Goal Thriller




CLUB 500


Read More & Join Today


Montrose 2 Elgin City 3

A second half revival from Montrose failed to overturn Elgin City's advantage from the first half, the home side losing ground in the League Two relegation battle.
Montrose goalkeeper Stuart McKenzie was called into action in the first minute, tipping Shane Sutherland's header over the crossbar. From the following corner, Ally Gilchrist headed wide.

Elgin City opened the scoring in the 16th minute when Sutherland burst past Alan Campbell and curled a shot onto McKenzie's post. The rebound fell into the path of DENNIS WYNESS, the striker poking the ball into the net from 12 yards out.

The visitors added a second seven minutes later when  Sutherland raced down the left wing and send the ball into the Montrose box. The ball bobbled up and onto the chest of home defender ROSS GRAHAM, who was unable to prevent the ball bouncing off him and into the net.

Elgin had numerous chances in the first half, Sutherland and Wyness both shooting wide and the latter also curling a free kick over the crossbar.

Having endured a torrid first half, Montrose started the second in a brighter fashion. Watson had a free kick tipped wide in the 49th minute, and they took only another minute to find a way back into the match, trialist Michael Travis heading the ball down from a corner and GARRY WOOD lashing the ball into the net from the edge of the six yard box.

Montrose appeared to have equalised in the 78th minute when Jonathan Crawford headed home from a corner, but referee Grant Irvine, on his assistant's advice, ruled the goal out due to shirt-pulling as the cross came in.

Elgin capitalised on the let-off, scoring their third 10 minutes later. Substitute CRAIG GUNN - introduced when Sutherland was stretchered off with a serious injury following a Terry Masson challenge - controlled the ball and sent  low shot through Alan Campbell's legs and into the bottom corner of Stuart McKenzie's net.

Montrose ensured a dramatic finish to the match when ROSS McCORD curled a free kick into the top corner of Michael Fraser's net in the final minute of regulation time.
But even with five minutes of injury time, the home side were unable to find a dramatic equaliser.


Contact Us

Links Park Stadium

Wellington Street
Angus DD10 8QD

Tel: 01674 673200

Fax: 01674 677311
Operations Manager: 01674 673200