Airdrieonians 6 Montrose 4 (aet)

Airdrieonians Break Mo Hearts In Ten Goal Thriller




CLUB 500


Read More & Join Today

Cove Rangers 1 Montrose 1

The Montrose fans again turned out in force at Balmoral Park to see the Mo take on Cove Rangers in what is always a tough game and this one proved to be as expected. The starting line-up was Fleming, Ballantyne and Steeves as wing-backs with a back three of Allan, Waddell and Dillon. In midfield there was bags of experience with Watson and Whatley with Webster down the right, Johnston up top and Milne everywhere else. The referee was Matthew MacDermid.

Both sides showed their intent right from the start and it soon became clear this was to be a hard fought game with both attacking intent and little or nothing given away. Megginson in the second minute created a chance but Fleming was equal to it as the attacker found his way through a mass of white shirts. Watson for Montrose created the first Montrose chance in the 4th minute when a cross from the left almost found the head of the diving Webster.

Back at the other end again Cove twice broke clear from the left but Fleming was alert again and the final bit of danger passed when McAllister ran out of pitch. All still inside the first 10 minutes.

There was no let-up however and an error by Cove let in Webster but his first-time effort from 20 yards flew just over the top as did another 30 yarder from Watson went the same way and yet another by Milne was deflected wide after a good Mo passing move. That resulted in a corner which somehow was cleared in a goalmouth melee in the 6-yard box.

Plenty of Montrose pressure but there was danger lurking at the other end with the strong running McAllister and his striking partner Megginson always a threat and looking to shoot on sight. That apart, it was Webster who found the net first after the half hour mark but his close-range header was ruled out by an offside flag. Both teams were using the full width of the pitch well with Shay Logan for Cove always in the game down the right.

Half-time approached but not before Scott Ross was yellow carded for Cove as his arm collided with Webster’s face and Steeves also saw yellow for a late lunging tackle.

It was still 0-0 at the break but not for long as Cove opened the scoring in the 49th minute as RORY McALLISTER chased down a long though ball and crashed an unstoppable shot in off the underside of the crossbar to make in 1-0 to Cove. Montrose came right back into it however and Johnston was unlucky to have an effort blocked.

Montrose made two changes on 58 minutes to alter their formation and bring on fresh legs. Off came Matty Allan to give now just two centre-backs and Paul Watson was replaced by Liam Callaghan whilst Blair Lyons was bought on to bolster the attacking options. It worked very quickly as Lyons weaved his way across the face of the 18-yard box to be abruptly halted just inside and a penalty it was.

GRAHAM WEBSTER duly sent it where it should be to make it 1-1 on 61 minutes. Blair Yule was yellow carded in the afters and on 67 minutes Cove made their first change with Jamie Masson on for Leitch so in the next minute on came Terry Masson for Mark Whatley.

Waddell was harshly yellowed on 71 minutes very shortly after he himself had been brought down in a sign that referee MacDermid was going to clamp down on some meaty challenges as the game stepped up to a climax. It did not stop a high challenge on Fleming however as Yule received his second card of the day, this time a red one in the 76th minute.

Cue another Cove change as Harry Milne replaced Scully on 82 minutes as they adjusted to having only 10 men.

In the closing stages it was Montrose wo looked more likely to win it with wave after wave going forward against a depleted home side for whom McAllister was replaced by McIntosh on 85 minutes. Blair Lyons was still making an impact but even he was yellow carded for an aggressive challenge which seemed harsh bearing in mind the challenges he had himself been on the end of. Fyvie became the next yellow carded Cove player deep in stoppage time when Cove looked to settle for the draw at 1-1, which it did.

A good team effort by Montrose and good use of the substitutions to suit the game as it unfolded. Overall, a fair result against an attack minded Cove Rangers team which will probably win more games than they will lose this season.

Report by Steve Doyle.

Team Lineups & Stats

cinch League 1

Saturday 11th September 2021



1  Stuart McKenzie
1  Allan Fleming
2  Morgan Neill
2  Cammy Ballantyne 
4  Connor Scully (s82)
3  Andrew Steeves
5  Scott Ross
14  Seán Dillon
8  Blair Yule
4  Matty Allan (s58)
9  Mitch Megginson (c)
8  Paul Watson (c) (s58)
13  Rory McAllister (s85)
7  Graham Webster
16  Iain Vigurs
5  Kerr Waddell
20  Robbie Leitch (s67)
16  Craig Johnston
24  Fraser Fyvie
15  Mark Whatley (s68)
25  Shay Logan
10  Lewis Milne
23  Kyle Gourlay
6  Terry Masson (s68)
3  Harry Milne (s82)
17  Aidan Quinn
10  Jamie Masson (s67)
11  Blair Lyons (s58)
11  Leighton McIntosh (s85)
22  Craig Brown
17  OlaAdeyemo
19  Liam Callaghan (s58)
    12  Chris Antoniazzi
    21  Aaron Lennox

Matthew MacDermid

Assistant Referees:
Drew Kirkland, Calum Doyle

Cove Rangers - Rory McAllister (49)
Montrose - Graham Webster (61pen)

Yellow Cards:
Cove Rangers - Scott Ross (42), Blair Yule (64), Fraser Fyvie (90+3)
Montrose - Andrew Steeves (45)
, Kerr Waddell (71), Blair Lyons (90)

Red Cards:
Cove Rangers - Blair Yule (76)



Contact Us

Links Park Stadium

Wellington Street
Angus DD10 8QD

Tel: 01674 673200

Fax: 01674 677311
Operations Manager: 01674 673200