Airdrieonians 6 Montrose 4 (aet)

Airdrieonians Break Mo Hearts In Ten Goal Thriller




CLUB 500


Read More & Join Today

Queen's Park 1 Montrose 1

Changes were made to the starting line-up for Montrose for this game at Firhill against League leaders Queen’s Park as referee Scott Lambie got the game going in dry conditions with Montrose facing a breeze and kicking towards the end where there was a healthy Mo support.

QP had the first attack but it was hit long and out. Montrose were next and a cross from a rampaging Cammy B found Keatings but under pressure his effort went too high and over the top. Milne was next but his shot went just wide as Montrose tried to make early possession count and an effort by Webster resulted in a corner which was cleared easily. QP were quick however and Whatley was dispossessed as he delayed his clearance but Lennox saved the final effort at close range.

The welcome return of Cammy F saw him fit in straight away as if he had never been away and he took up an attacking midfield position and made his presence felt.

Towards the 30-minute mark with possession about equal though QP looked to be creating better openings as Montrose soaked it up well. Dillon was yellow carded in the 40th minute for something which was either off the ball or for which referee Lambie pulled back play for. Fortunately the 20-yard free kick from a central position flew high and wide and was wasted. A second yellow this one for Matty Allan on the stroke of half-time looked harsh but it remained 0-0 at the break.

Montrose had not been on top of their game but were still very much in it.

For the second half Montrose changed their formation with Waddell on for Whatley thus going to a back three plus two wing backs to stabilise in defence but at the same time have more of an attacking threat up front.

Immediately the difference was there to see as the Mo looked far sharper and more likely to score. Then what the Mo didn’t want was to face a very dubious decision and concede a goal. CONNOR SMITH looked so far offside that he surely must have been when the ball was kicked but there was no flag and the goal was allowed to stand despite protests from several Mo players and the Mo fans who were all straight in line. So 1-0 it was on 54 minutes.

Montrose were galvanised and looked more determined. Milne hit a free kick from 18 yards which flew across the 6-yard box but evaded everyone and went out at the far side. Cammy B shot from 20 yards and that flew inches wide with keeper Muir beaten. Webster had a good chance as well but unusually for him his effort went wide as well.

QP sensed a change was required so on 66 minutes Gillespie came on for Connell to shore up midfield but promptly conceded a free kick. It turned into the Montrose equalising goal on 68 minutes as it found Webster, then Cammy F who turned it across the 6-yard box for LEWIS MILNE to add the finishing touch from close range to make it 1-1 and frankly it was well deserved for the Mo on the balance of play at that point. Gillespie was then yellow carded as he conceded another free kick for a foul on Matty Allan.

Into the 70th minute and both teams had chances the best of which came to Montrose. Firstly keeper Muir mis-read his positioning and almost conceded to Webster but the ball was scrambled away when a goal looked likely. Next a Cammy F shot had Muir at full stretch to parry for a corner which was dealt with easily.

QP made another change on 71 minutes as Liam Brown was replaced by Longstaff and a couple of minutes later Montrose replaced Webster with Craig Johnston thus ending Webby’s record for scoring in eight successive games in which he has played (he missed the Alloa game through injury).

Into the final 5 minutes and Keatings was replaced by Craig Brown for Montrose and a dash down the field by Johnston resulted in a Montrose corner which again was cleared comfortably.

Into worrying time for Mo fans now as the game entered stoppage time but despite half chances at both ends referee Lambie blew for time before anything else happened.

A final score of 1-1 was probably a fair result on the day but Montrose will feel hard done by because of the nature of the QP goal. Not a classic Montrose performance but a point away at high flying Queen’s Park is welcome nevertheless. No indisputable Man of the Match but the return of Cammy F was very much a highlight and we all know he will kick on from here.

Report by Steve Doyle

Team Lineups & Stats

cinch League 1

Sunday 3rd October 2021



1  Wullie Muir
21  Aaron Lennox
24  Michael Doyle (c)
2  Cammy Ballantyne 
4  Lee Kilday
3  Andrew Steeves 
19  Charlie Fox
14  Seán Dillon
3  Tommy Robson
4  Matty Allan
21  Jack Thomson
6  Terry Masson (c)
10  Liam Brown (s71)
7  Graham Webster (s78)
27  Connor Smith
20  Cammy F Ballantyne
48  Luca Connell (s66)
9  James Keatings (s86)
9  Bob McHugh
15  Mark Whatley (s46)
23  Simon Murray
10  Lewis Milne
7  Louis Longridge
5  Kerr Waddell (s46)
14  Lewis Moore
8  Pal Watson
15  Max Gilles
22  Craig Brown (s86)
16  Callum Yates
12  Chris Antoniazzi
21  Grant Gillespie (s66)
16  Craig Johnston (s78)
28  Luis Longstaff (s71)
11  Blair Lyons
12  Calum Ferrie (GK)
1  Allan Fleming

Scott Lambie

Assistant Referees:
Sean Carr, Joel Kennedy

Queen's Park - Connor Smith (54)
Montrose - Lewis Milne (68)

Yellow Cards:
Queen's Park - Grant Gillespie (70)
Montrose -
Seán Dillon (40), Matty Allan (45+1), Andrew Steeves (64)

Red Cards:



Contact Us

Links Park Stadium

Wellington Street
Angus DD10 8QD

Tel: 01674 673200

Fax: 01674 677311
Operations Manager: 01674 673200