Montrose FC New Away Kit

New Away Kit For Season 2022/23

Order Now

Dunfermline 1 Montrose 0

Montrose Fall to Late Winner at East End Park



Next Match

Montrose v Clyde

Match Details

202/23 Season Tickets Out Now


Read More

Buy Now

Season Ticket Instalments

CLUB 500


Read More & Join Today

Partick Thistle 4 Montrose 2

A League Cup group game which the home team needed to win to progress to the knock-out stages as group winners and the Jags did just that.

The game got underway in front of a crowd of 1,578 and after a Jags thrust from the kick-off it was Montrose who looked a threat in the next move as a corner was won but came to nothing. Webster was dispossessed in the next move and Lennox did well to save the day as he did the next move from a Partick corner.

Montrose were using long balls to clear the danger from their own half and Lyons looked to be away but was felled and the kick was cleared by Partick who swept to the other end and opened the scoring. It was a great through ball inside Steeves on the left which was collected by Jack McMillan who cut inside and fired in a shot off the inside far post to make it 1-0 after 17 minutes.

It was all Thistle at that point with plenty of possession and room in midfield but The Mo were not out of it and a Milne cross was deflected away from Johnston who was about to pull the trigger. Lyons then cut in from the left but his cross found no takers. The first change saw Partick bring on Lawless for Smith on 31 minutes as the home side continued to put Montrose under pressure but still the Mo had another chance as Johnston arrowed down the left and slide it across the box for Whatley to shoot well over.

As half-time approached Partick scored again in stoppage time. A free-kick from 20 yards was hit into the top corner by Kevin Holt with Lennox having no chance. So 2-0 at the break.
Into the second half and the Mo had chances but it was the Championship side who looked more of a threat going forward. Another change brought on Dowds for Graham for the Jags on 46 minutes and for Montrose on 50 minutes Dillon was replaced by Quinn.

The game then looked as if it might change with Montrose getting it a bit more together and indeed Craig Johnston raced through the middle to the edge of the Partick box and slid it to Craig Brown who side stepped his man and hit a beauty into the top left corner to pull it back to 2-1 on 55 minutes. The Jags were not amused and upped the pressure with shots on 57 and 58 minutes both of which flashed across goal with no takers. Whatley gave way to Callaghan on 60 minutes and Webster was yellow carded as his man tried to slip by him and into the box.

Could the Mo equalise against the odds? Lyons did his level bet to scamper away down the left but his cross was cut out before Johnston could get on the end of it. Then disaster for Montrose as a very soft goal made it 3-1 to Partick. A mistake wide left was put into the centre after the defence failed to clear it and Aidan Fitzpatrick collected it on the right and his shot crept into the net past Lennox on 66 minutes.

More subs for the Jags as Fitzpatrick was replaced by Turner and Docherty was replaced by Mullen whilst for Montrose Rennie came on for Brown on 73 minutes.

Despite Partick pressure Montrose plugged away with the game still not lost although very much up against it. Quinn went close with a header from a corner as the keeper went full stretch to keep it out. But, another soft goal on 81 minutes gave the game away. The ball was given away in midfield and a swift break down the right ended up with a tap-into an open goal for Danny Mullen from a yard out. In the process of trying to save it keeper Aaron Lennox was injured and had to be replaced by Waddell in goal as Montrose had used all their substitution opportunities. Ironically, Thistle were also reduced to 10 at the same time for the same reason due to injury.

Surprisingly, instead of cautiously protecting Waddell in goal, Montrose went straight up the other end and scored gain as Lyons shot was saved at the expense of a corner from which Craig Johnston got the final touch to make it 4-2 on 85 minutes. The last few minutes were played out by both teams without further incident and it ended as a 4-2 win for Partick Thistle who on the balance of play deserved it.

Report by Steve Doyle

Team Lineups & Stats

Premier Sports Cup
Group B

Saturday 23rd July 2022



31  David Mitchell
1  Aaaron Lennox
2  Jack McMillan
7  Graham Webster 
3  Harry Milne
5  Kerr Waddell
4  Kevin Holt
14  Seán Dillon (s50)
5  Darren Brownlie
3  Andrew Steeves
8  Stuart Brannigan
6  Terry Masson (c)
9  Brian Graham (s45)
15  Mark Whatley (s59)
14  Cammy Smith (s31)
10  Lewis Milne
15  Cole McKinnon (s69)
22  Craig Brown (s73)
21  Aidan Fitzpatrick (s70)
16  Craig Johnston
23  Ross Docherty (c) (s76)
11  Blair Lyans 
6  Kyle Turner (s70)
19  Liam Callaghan (s59)
10  Anton Dowds (s45)
17  Aidan Quinn (s50)
11  Steven Lawless (s31)
23  Martin Rennie (s73)
17  Tony Weston (s76)
9  Ross Campbell
19  Danny Mullen (s69)
27  James Lyon    
29  Zander MacKenzie    
1  Jamie Sneddon    

Duncan Williams

Assistant Referees:
David Dunne, Frazer Bushell

Partick Thistle - Jack McMillan (17), Kevin Holt (45+1), Aidan Fitzpatrick (66), Danny Mullen (81)
Montrose - Craig Brown (55), Craig Johnston (85)

Yellow Cards:
Montrose - Graham Webster (60)

Red Cards:



Contact Us

Links Park Stadium

Wellington Street
Angus DD10 8QD

Tel: 01674 673200

Fax: 01674 677311
Operations Manager: 01674 673200