Club News

Back to News


Eventually getting this fixture played at the third attempt, just one point separated these sides at kickoff, underneath the floodlights at Forthbank. 

Both sides started brightly and Montrose’s Kane Hester nearly opened the scoring for the visitors with a brilliant run down the right flank, narrowly missing the goal with his shot just wide of the left post. This was shortly followed by Stirling Albion’s Dale Carrick testing Montrose’s goalkeeper, who comfortably saved his ambitious shot. The game’s intensity was matched by its pace, with both teams creating and missing opportunities in quick succession.

As the game went on, Montrose made a breakthrough in the 32nd minute. Graham Webster, who cut in from the right and sent a hard effort just outside the box that went past Blair Currie and into the far corner of the Stirling Albion net to give Montrose the lead.

Montrose gained momentum and kept breaking through the Albion defence, requiring Currie to make a number of crucial stops to keep the Binos in the match.

The second half of the match began in relatively slow fashion, and it wasn’t until the introduction of three subs for the hosts in the 66th minute that Albion began to look like overturning the deficit and salvaging a point.

Stirling’s attempts to score were thwarted by a solid Montrose defence, with Sean Dillon stealing the ball off Albion and finding his way up the other end to take a shot, but this flew high over the bar.

As the match neared its end, Montrose eventually put the result beyond doubt when a swift counter attack in the 90th minute found Webster, this time on the left and his first time effort from the edge of the area sneaked under the diving Currie to complete his brace. 

An impressive away result by Montrose which should have been settled earlier based on the amount of good chances created, but much to be pleased about with a number of good performances throughout both the starting line up and substitutes.

Post Match Reaction: