Club News

Back to News


MONTROSE ended the league season with a home win over full-time Queen Of The South, a match in which Stewart Petrie rested several first team players ahead of the first leg of the playoff with Inverness Caledonian Thistle.

The Gable Endies lined up with four academy graduates in the starting XI, and a further five on the bench, but the youngsters took the game to their more experienced opponents and were duly rewarded.

Queen Of The South took the lead in the 17th minute when the ball deflected off Montrose defender Luke Graham to the feet of Joel MUMBONGO. The on-loan Swedish striker smashed a first-time shot into the roof of Ross Matthews’ net from 16 yards out.

The visitors could have gone further ahead four minutes later when Lee Connelly robbed Owen Emslie on the edge of the box and rounded Matthews, but he could only shoot into the side netting.

Montrose threatened in the 31st minute, Ben Hermiston just unable to get his shot away from a Graham headed knockdown.

MUMBONGO scored his and Queens’ second three minutes before half time, blasting the ball past the helpless Matthews.

Liam CALLAGHAN pulled a goal back for Montrose in the 52nd minute, curling a 20-yard free kick into the bottom corner of Harry Stone’s goal.

Hermiston came close again in the 60th minute, Stone smothering the ball at his feet in the six yard box.

Montrose’s equaliser came in the 64th minute when Aidan QUINN sent a bullet header past substitute goalkeeper Gordon Botterill from a perfectly-delivered Craig Brown free kick.

Alexander Ferguson should have done better in the 69th minute when he dipped a shoulder and carried the ball to the edge of the box, but his shot trundled well wide of Matthews’ goal.

Quinn was denied a second goal in the 73rd minute when he headed over from a Jay Cochrane free kick.

Luke Graham thought he had put Montrose ahead in the 77th minute, but his piledriver shot flew inches wide of the post.

Hermiston was denied a goal by a tremendous save from Botterill in the 81st minute, the goalkeeper palming the ball around the post at full stretch.

But from the corner that followed, QUINN collected Brown’s cross and smashed it in off the underside of the bar.

Queen Of The South pushed forward in search of an equaliser, Matthews not tested by Ferguson’s weak shot in the 83rd minute.

Kieran McKechnie had a low shot held by Matthews in the 85th minute, and Lewis Gibson sent a free kick well over the bar in the 90th minute.

Attendance: 835

Report by Mark Rae

Post Match Reaction